Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Finding Success

Today's Reading: Psalm 1 & Acts 3


Scripture:

"He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in its season and its leaf does not wither; and in whatever he does, he prospers." Psalm 1:3


Observation:

This Psalm is just as relevant now as it was when it was penned hundreds of centuries ago. The wisdom of the world is always much more evident and readily available. It does not take much to find advice, but it takes something extra to find God's counsel. Psalm 1 is a great blue print to finding true success.


Application:

I have to delight in God's way, make pursuing Him my greatest goal, and rest in the fact that His ways are different.


Learning to delight in God's way is huge for me. Sometimes it is easy to allow obeying God to become a duty and a painful sacrifice. It should not be that way. It should produce fruit that withstands even the hardest of times, a joy that is independent of circumstances, and a delight that satisfies the depths of my soul.


Meditating on His law day and night is the standard set by this passage from Psalm. Above all else that is in my life God wants my searches to point towards Him. In the quiet moments of every day my thoughts should point back towards reconnecting with God. He is constantly active in my life, I should constantly be active in searching for Him.


Walking away from the world's counsel is tough. There are so many worldly examples to follow and there are so many proven trails created by people doing things there own way. The flippin door is just so wide open. But as I learn to truly delight in God's way and make experiencing it a real part of my life; saying no to the world becomes more likely.


Prayer:

The past two mornings I have struggled to find words to pray to You. I sense You and I am hearing from You, but I just can't put into words what I feel in my heart. In moments like these I rest in the truth more than I rest in my feelings. My feelings say something is wrong but the truth is that even when I can't find words the Holy Spirit intercedes on my behalf. It is His prayer for me that gives me rest today. Guide me in following after Your plans, Your purpose, and Your counsel for the time You have provided me today.

No comments: