Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Against the Wind

Read:
“Examine and test and evaluate your own selves to see whether you are holding to your faith and showing the proper fruits of it.” 2 Corinthians 13:5

Examine:
Church people have a tendency spend most of their energy fighting among themselves and throwing rocks at other people. Paul offers the solution to bickering and division in this verse; worry with your own evaluation.

Apply:
Over the past few months I have had my share of rock throwers. The work that God has birthed in me has been highly scrutinized and I have been told no more times than I have heard yes. Instead of feeling “sent” I have spent many days feeling abandoned and forgotten. Wounds hurt and they often lead me to a place where it is tempting to return what has been given to me. I want to pick up my own rocks and do some tossing. But, rock tossing is a really stupid sport.

My son Bryce just walked in and asked me if I had ever heard of this song, “I believe there is a miracle around the bend so I set my face against the wind and learn once again to live by faith.” I love when God does things like that. Rock tossing tears down, but walking in faith and allowing God to produce inside of me the things He desires of me is the best option. When the support dwindles, the night gets dark, and the battle intensifies I have to determine within myself to stay the course. Nothing of man can ever hurt a work of God. I have to set my face against the wind, believe in the miracle around the corner, and keep learning deeper levels of faith.

Pray:
Father, I need to ask Your help this morning. I am not holding on to anger. I have evaluated my heart and I am honestly in a place where I do not harbor any bitterness. But I still carry wounds. They have not healed and I am not sure what to do. I can confess sin and move on but I cannot will or confess a wound to be healed. There are words these wounds desire to hear that I have come to accept will never be spoken.

So, I turn to You this morning. I ask that You heal what has been wounded in me and in my wife. As we set our faces against the wind and walk out this journey I pray that we will put our focus on You and the people who have truly loved and supported the work You are doing in us. I pray that we not allow our hurts to rob You of the praise that is Yours and that it does not hinder the work You desire from us.

Strengthen my faith today and bless the fruit my life needs to bear. My prayers are weak Father. I know what it feels like to pray with authority and where I am today is not anointed. My ability to teach the Word is weak. I know what if feels like to bring an anointed Word and where I am today is not strong enough. My faith is easily shaken. I know what it feels like to be unmovable and right now I struggle to find good footing. I confess my sins and shortcomings to You today resting in the truth that they are settled with You. I proclaim Your promise to be faithful to complete what You started in me. You have led us to fight for people who have no voice; I pray that You anoint me to speak on their behalf, to fight for Your heart for them, and to keep enduring until their cries have been heard by those who have the capacity to help.

No comments: