Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Word From Christ

Read: Revelation 3
““ ‘I know your works. Behold, I have set before you an open door, which no one is able to shut. I know that you have but little power, and yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name.’” Revelation 3:8

Examine:
As in the messages to the other churches, Christ stated, I know your deeds. In keeping with the description of His authority to open and close doors, He declared, See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. There is no word of rebuke, though Christ said, I know that you have little strength. These words, however, become a basis for His commendation that you have kept My word and have not denied My name. (From the Bible Knowledge Commentary).

Apply:
This morning I was feeling a little heavy and overwhelmed. As I sat down to continue with my reading plan, this verse came to me and prevented me from making my planned reading in 1 Thessalonians. I did not seek this verse so I have no other conclusion but that Christ is speaking to me through God’s Word.

Pray:
Jesus, You have seen my deeds (all of them!). You know the good, the bad, and the ugly. In many ways I have never in all of my life felt such an intense pressure to deny You and retreat to a normal life. In all of my days I have never felt surrounded by more uncertainty regarding You, the Father, and the Holy Spirit. You know my heart and so You know all the sleepless nights during which I wondered if any of You were real and You also know the intensity I felt as I fought the temptation to say this fight was too much for me. You also know that at the end of each struggle my lips have held tight to my profession of faith; I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God, my risen Lord and Savior. I have followed You imperfectly but follow You I have.

I woke up weak this morning. I look at the money I have in the bank, the fact that I have no place to call home, I have no means of transportation, and I face a task that is impossible by anyone’s standard. Yet, I hear Your voice this morning. You have opened a door that no one is able to shut. You have wealth stored up waiting to unleash on the saints who are laboring in this hell on earth. You alone have authority to reconcile this broken place that is currently ruled by the evil one. If it is me that You have chosen as a catalyst I ask that You affirm this today by the power of the Holy Spirit. If I am here only to prepare the way for the one You have chosen I ask that You affirm that as well.

I am not here to serve my own end. I am only here out of obedience to the Word You have spoken. My life is Yours. My obedience is Yours. I will die before I deny the things You have done in my life. Looking past my circumstances I stand firm today on the words that You have spoken knowing that nothing of earth can ever stand in the way of Your authority over all.

No comments: