Thursday, June 30, 2011

Hindering the Spirit

Read: 1 Thessalonians 5
“16 Always be joyful. 17 Never stop praying. 18 Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. 19 Do not stifle the Holy Spirit.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-19

Examine:
The Bible frequently likens the Holy Spirit to a flame. He warms the heart, enlightens the mind, and empowers people’s spirits. It is the effective working of the Holy Spirit that Paul warned against hindering. Nothing can hinder the work of the Spirit more quickly than an absence of joy, a lack of prayer, and an attitude of ungratefulness.

Apply:
Being joyful is a mindset. When my mind is set on something pleasing then joy is automatic. Throughout this letter Paul has pressed me to find my joy in the hope and truth of the gospel. Joy is not found in things or experiences. Joy is found by setting my mind on the things above. This is not a passive response. To set my mind on them is to participate in them. As I actively set aside the things of this earth and pursue the things above I will forever be connected to the joy of heaven and walk in the warming presence of the Holy Spirit.

Prayer is probably one of the most confusing and least utilized commands of the Christian life for me. Prayer for me can become the thing I do when I can’t do anything else. The command from Paul is not to spend time in prayer or to attend prayer meetings. The command is to never stop praying. Prayer connects my heart with God’s. Prayer allows the Holy Spirit to carry me past circumstances and see things from God’s perspective. As I walk throughout my day I must stay in a posture of prayer.

Joy is an internal feeling, but gratitude is a tangible expression. As I experience joy it is critical to allow it to flow through me and spill out in the form of gratitude to God and to the people He uses in my life. Gratitude lives in the present, releases needs for the future, and celebrates what has been given. Gratitude has no expectation of future gain; it only desires to dance in the joy of the moment. My life must be defined by my expression of gratitude.

Pray:
I am absolutely, completely and totally consumed by my love for You. It is amazing to stop and consider that I have never had less but I have never felt more at ease than I do right now. In a few moments I will shower, dress and leave the safety of my home and charge headfirst into the work You have for me. I ask that as I live out the events of this day I do it joyfully, prayerfully, and gratefully. Let Your presence in my life be known to those around me and I ask that I maintain an awareness of Your purposes. I release to You anything that would hinder the flame of the Holy Spirit from burning brightly in my life today.

No comments: