Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Nevertheless

Read: Psalm 73
“But it is good for me to draw near to God; I have put my trust in the Lord God and made Him my refuge, that I may tell of all Your works.” Psalm 73:28

Examine:
Aspah looked around at the world and became deeply troubled. He saw the life of those who pursued wealth over God and their lives were much better than his. They achieved great wealth, lived padded lives, and generally carried themselves without much care. Aspah chose to pursue righteousness and yet his life was stricken with pain. So much so in fact that he came to a place where he even wondered if following after God was worth it. Then, he entered the sanctuary and was reminded of the truth of God and the shortness of this life. In the end the rewards of the world cannot compare to what God has planned for those who have suffered loss in His name.

Apply:
There is a line in this chapter I just love, “Nevertheless I am continually with You.” I, like Asaph, must come to a place that regardless of my feelings I continue to acknowledge that it is good to draw near to God and trust in Him. The “nevertheless” part is hard. Nevertheless means in spite of nothing going as it should I will still follow. Nevertheless means in spite of others passing me by I will still stay submitted. Nevertheless means that in spite of sleepless nights, uncomforted pain, and empty sacrifice I will still say yes. Nevertheless means that I value drawing near to God over succeeding in this life and that I am willing to prove it.

Pray:
Father it is good to draw near to You. That is my confession of faith today. As I remain in a season where drawing near and following You continues to cause me loss I cry out to You “Yes!” I have no place to go besides You. I have no other hope besides You. If You are not who You say You are and if all that I have believed of You, Christ, and the Holy Spirit are not true then I am to be pitied among fools for the choices I have made. I am counting on You to make good of Your word.

My life has not turned out like I planned it. There is not one aspect of where I am right now that is of my choosing. You have led me here and I have followed. As I look around and though this season of life would not have been my preferred choice I know that You have given it to me because it is best. I accept Your good even when it feels like loss. You discipline those You love. You refine those who are Yours. You invite Your children to suffer loss in this world so that they may find their full reward in the life to come. Sustain me today Father. Let my heart overflow with Your presence, let my words drip with Your grace, and let my feet be quick to run after Your leading. Selah!

No comments: