Monday, June 13, 2011

Gerald's Eyes

Read:
“but I refrain from this, so that no one will credit me with more than he sees in me or hears from me.” 2 Corinthians 12:6

Examine:
Paul did not care what people thought of him. His only ambition in life was to see the people impacted by his leadership stand before God with confidence.

Apply:
There is a man back home where I grew up and his name is Gerald. When I think about the men I have modeled my life after Gerald is one. I do not know anything about his station in life. I don’t know how much money he has made nor do I know of the impact he has had. There is only one thing I know about Gerald, his eyes. Whenever I see him there are two things about his eyes that capture me. First, they sparkle with Christ. To look at Gerald is the closest thing I have ever seen to looking at Jesus. Without speaking a word he draws me near to Jesus. The presence of Christ just radiates from him. Second, they communicate how much he really cares about my relationship with Jesus. Gerald has never really asked me how I was doing. He always asks “You walking with the Lord?” When he asks there is not a hint of judgment; the only thing his piercing blue eyes communicate is a welcoming sense that I am safe to respond honestly. Gerald is a great man and I have often prayed that God would give me those eyes.

Reputation in this life is mostly based on success. No one likes to been seen as or be associated with failure so a person of good reputation is someone who has accomplished much and lives a successful life. Introductions all center on accomplishments. It is like the opening of any new interaction with a person or a group begins with 30 minutes of people building themselves up. I hate this. There is a part of me that would just like to stand up and start with my failures and shortcomings. Successes are great but I have learned all that I know of Christ by walking with Him in my weaknesses. Hiding these to me feels like hiding my greatest successes in life. The closer I grow to Christ the more transparent I find my life becoming. The more transparent I become the more freedom I experience in life. The things I keep hidden in the closet bear guilt and shame. The things I bring out and share with others find strength and healing as they are exposed to the light.

Pray:
When I think of the men who have impacted my life there are two for which I am grateful this morning. Gerald taught me that my witness is not my ability to articulate the things of God as much as it is You shining through me. My dad taught me that it is ok to be imperfect in my pursuit of You as long as I am honest about my failures. When I place those things together it forms the ultimate goal of all I could hope to experience as a man of God. Christ reflecting through me as I honestly share what You taught me in my failures is the witness I desire to carry into the world.

No comments: