Sunday, June 19, 2011

In You

Read: Psalm 84
“How blessed is the man whose strength is in You, in whose heart are the highways to Zion! Passing through the valley of Baca they make it a spring;” Psalm 84:5-6

Examine:
In the day this Psalm was written people could only approach God through the temple priests. They would periodically take a pilgrimage to Jerusalem. The Valley of Baca was a region they would have passed through on their journey. This was a particularly arid and barren valley. It was undoubtedly the most difficult part of the journey, but they were so lost in their anticipation of worshipping God that this valley seemed like an oasis to them.

Apply:
Brandy read somewhere this week the following question, “Why is it if a King or President appoints you to a position it is considered an honor for the person to say yes, but when God appoints a person to a work it is considered a sacrifice to say yes.” This question and these verses have collided and are giving me a lot to think about. I often look at this verse and wonder how does one get his strength in God. I think that it is significant to understand that the Psalmist does not say “whose strength comes from God or who gets his strength from God.” The Psalmist clearly says whose strength is IN God. The highways of his heart led him to the heart of God and therefore he clearly knew that God’s strength would provide for him. Where are my highways taking me?

The Psalmist also points out that the people found springs of life in desert places. They understood that pursuing God’s presence would require them to endure a desert land but they allowed the joy of serving God to make small the struggle of walking through deserts. When I say yes to God I have to know that my yes will lead me through dry and hot seasons of testing and trying. It is almost guaranteed. When those seasons hit I have the option of lamenting about my pain or I can turn to God and allow Him to wash over me with His joy. If I focus on my fears, confusion, pain, and longings then the desert will get the best of me. If my heart stays centered on pleasing the Father then I will find springs of life in desert places.

Pray:
I read this verse and I call out to You tonight. I want my strength to be in You. There is a connection with You that is greater than anything this life has to offer to me or threaten to steal from me. I desire for my strength in You to be manifested through me in a way that it will calm my every hurt, cover my every mistake, and strengthen my every weakness. I seek You tonight unlike I have ever had to seek You before. As I step out in faith I pray that I step up experiencing Your strength. Give me authority over the things that surround me. Protect my family, guard our relationships, and deepen our love for one another. Help us stand firm as a group knowing that we are in a place of obedience therefore our strength, power, protection, and provision are all in You and are all sealed by Your promised Helper. Help me feel something of the Holy Spirit that affirms this deep in my soul. I love You Father. There is nothing I can do and no place I can go besides to You. I set everything aside tonight and seek only You.

No comments: