Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Not Meant to be Idle

Read: 1 Corinthians 16
“Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love. “ 1 Corinthians 16: 13-14

Examine:
As Paul closes out this letter to the church, he does so by calling them to action. It was critical for them to understand that the life of Christ was not meant to be idle.

Apply:
Be on the alert: I have to know that my default setting is spiritual complacency. If left unattended, my life will always drift back towards routine and convenient Christianity. I need to stay engaged.

Stand firm in the faith: In the context of this verse, I need to stand firm in the body of teaching that represents my faith. I need to know what is truth and hold on to it no matter what my emotions, friends, or circumstances tell me.

Act like men, be strong: The context here is to grow up and not act like a child. When things do not go right or times get hard, I must man up and get after it. Children fall apart. Men step into the punch and even land a few themselves.

Do all in Love: Returning to 1 Corinthians 13 is the best context for this. “Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails…”

Pray:
Being on the alert, standing firm in faith, and being strong all sound aggressive and progressive. I read those words and a surge of energy fills my stomach as I think of charging a hill and defeating an opponent. Those words fire me up as they seem to prep me for battle and promise me a life that is anything but dull and routine. But then comes the love part.

I read those words and I see a whole lot of sacrifice and loss. I see a call to suffering and mistreatment. I see a willingness to endure much for the benefit of others. I see…what is missing from me.

I hear You this morning and I heed Your correction. Without love, I am arrogant and brash. Without love, I am ripped apart by anger when persecution comes. Without love, I am nothing but a noisy and petty man who is capable of doing much harm.

I want to see others through Your eyes today and carry the same brokenness You have for them in Your heart. I want to understand Your call on their life, feel the pain they are carrying and be able to speak Your truth to them. I ask for discernment and wisdom in all the council that I offer today. I pray that every encounter I have helps others feel stronger in Your call for their life. I pray that these things be especially true of me inside my home.

No comments: