Thursday, June 23, 2011

Amplifying Christ

Read: 1 Thessalonians 1
“For the word of the Lord has sounded forth from you, not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but also in every place your faith toward God has gone forth, so that we have no need to say anything.” 1 Thessalonians 1:8

Examine:
Paul saw the Thessalonians as amplifiers or relay stations that not only received the gospel message but also sent it farther on its way with increased power and scope.

Apply:
In verse three of this chapter Paul highlighted three values or traits that I should carry if I am to amplify the message of Christ: Energized by faith, motivated by love, and steadfast in hope.

Pray:
There are many days that I look at my faith and instead of being energized by it I feel burdened by it. I look at my life and faith seems to feel restricting and confusing. I do not understand how to avoid this or change it, but I know that I cannot share my faith until my faith produces life and energy inside of me. There are nagging doubts, hesitations, and reservations inside of me that riddle my faith with holes. I confess my lack of faith to You today and ask that You ignite inside of me a passionate, unwavering belief in the truth of the gospel.

I also realize the growing love You have planted inside of me. This love is not soft and mushy. It is a compelling love and passion that motivates me to sacrifice for others. It is a love that will cause me to abandon all to strengthen the lives of others. My love is not yet as it should be but I am thankful that it is so much more than it ever has been.

Steadfastness of hope is critical. During dark days and lonely nights it is easy to allow hope to slip. Hope is the fuel of life. Once hope is lost life dwindles and everything falls aside. I pray that the hope you have given would be strong in me today. Protect it from the things of this world that would threaten it. Help it be strong enough to make me different. Help it glow enough that others can see it.

You know where we are, what we face, and the things that need to be accomplished. I submit to Your plans even though I am not comfortable with the level of detail You have given me. I face something today that seems impossible. I pray that the enormity of the task not rob me of the joy of seeing You show up and show out. I love You. I love this life You have given. My greatest fear is to see life live me instead of living life. I sit today in a place of incredible odds and everything in me feels alive. That includes fear and stress. Help me to not be consumed with them but rather allow them to press me deeper into faith, hope and love.

No comments: