Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Glory of It

Read: 2 Corinthians 3
“For if that which was but passing and fading away came with splendor, how much more must that which remains and is permanent abide in glory and splendor!” 2 Corinthians 3:11

Examine:
The great illustration in this passage regarding glory is the one of Moses coming down the mountain with the tablets. The glory of God was so great on him that his faced glowed. Paul’s point in painting this picture is if God poured out His glory to that degree on Moses, who was carrying the temporary and painful news of the law, how much more should people expect to radiate God’s glory when they carry the eternal and joyful news of the Gospel of Christ?

Apply:
This morning’s reading has reminded me that tools and trainings are important and useful, but they are not the most effective things in sharing the gospel. The most influential method for sharing the gospel is me experiencing and reflecting the glory of God.

Pray:
I sit this morning and I think about Moses coming down that hill with his face all a glow. I can close my eyes and see my picture version of this scene in my head. I see the people falling on the ground and asking him to cover his face because it freaked them out so bad. I think to myself how cool it must have been for Moses to be filled with that much glory and secretly in my heart I wish that I would be able to have a similar experience. Upon grabbing ahold of that secret thought I am awakened by the reality represented in 2 Corinthians 3.

Father, this passage from Your Word says that I should reflect a greater glory than even Moses did. As I examine my life my honest reply to this truth is that if my current life fully reflects the glory spoken of in this chapter from Paul then all of this is a sham. Since I know that Your word is not a sham it is safe for me to conclude You are not finished with me yet.

This morning I am not sure how to pray. There is a hesitancy in me to ask You to show me Your glory. I think it is in part because I fear losing my perceived control over my life. I am smart enough to know that more of You requires less of me. The “less of me” part of that equation is not fun or easy.

In this moment, as tempting as it is to draw back, I do want to press forward. I acknowledge the absence of the fullness of the Glory You have bestowed on the Gospel. It does not radiate in me with such glorious hope and such joyful and confident expectation that I speak very freely and openly and fearlessly about it. Help me grow. Help me learn. Lead me strong.

No comments: