Monday, April 6, 2009

Battle Tactics

Today's Reading: Ruth 3, Psalm 64, & 2 Corinthians 6

Scripture:
"He my voice, O God, in my complaint; Preserve my life from dread of the enemy." Psalm 64:1

Observation:
Whether I am fighting against myself, another person or a circumstance I have only one enemy; satan. His tactics are good. He has been doing what he has been doing for a long time. He knows when to strike, what weapons to chose and who to use in delivering his blows. This morning, I see some battle tactics to remember.

Application:
In Psalm 64:6 I am reminded that the external actions of a person are only outward manifestations of something that runs much deeper on the inside. So many times I am tempted to deal with what is seen on the outside. This verse reminds me that the intentions of a man run much deeper. They are beyond what I can control and I have to trust God for He is the only one who knows the depths of man's thoughts and intentions. He is my deliverer.

In 2 Corinthians 6:1 I am reminded that I need to know my faith. God has made much available to me through the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I am righteous. I am anointed. I am blessed. I am a son. I am protected. I have a mission. I have value. I can find forgiveness. At any moment, of any day, in any circumstance I can enter into the presence of God and find what I need.

In 2 Corinthians 6:3 & 6:7 I am reminded that God has given me both offensive and defensive weapons for use in the ministry given to me. I have to center my energy on my God given mission to solider for the ministry of the Gospel. God did not arm me to defend myself or to advance my agenda. He armed me to advance his Kingdom. Paul says both his left hand and right hand have been armed. The left would have held a shield for defensive tactics. The right would have held a sword for advancing against an enemy. I need to know how to use both.

Prayer:
Father I ask that I be attentive today. Help me walk through this day with a sense of purpose and be made fully aware of the battle raging around me. I desire to engage in battle today not as one with a weak heart, but as a good solider who uses all that has been given to him to its fullest potential.

No comments: