Saturday, April 18, 2009

First Things First

Today's Reading:  Psalm 17 & Matthew 6

 

Scripture:

"And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to life?"  Matthew 6:27

 

Observation:

This is not an invitation to live a life free of pressure or concern.  It is an invitation to get first things first in life and concern myself with only those things.  In this chapter from Matthew I see three things that I need to keep on the forefront of my mind and protected from the concerns of life.

 

Application:

In Matthew 6:33, Jesus instructs us to seek the Kingdom of God first.  Today's English Version of the Bible says it like this, "Instead, be concerned above everything else with the Kingdom of God and with what he requires of you..."  That is a powerful statement.  Get a clear picture of my place in the God's plans for His Kingdom and become consumed by them. Hold these plans are the center piece of every thought and action. 

 

In Matthew 6:20, Jesus instructs us to lose interest in seeking earthly treasure.  God designed us to pursue reward and gain.  Paul often talked about seeking the prize.  The problem is that I often substitute the tangible but temporary earthly gain for the intangible but permanent heavenly gain. 

 

In Matthew 6:1, Jesus warns us to steer clear of seeking approval.  There is nothing wrong with receiving or giving affirmation, it is when I intentionally do things to get it that I cross over into sin.  This is hard.  There are days that I want people to know what I did.  I want them to know that I get it and that I am on the right path.  This desire often presses me into talking about something that I simply should have left unsaid. 

 

Prayer:

First things first.  That is such a simple statement but it creates such an impossible demand.  I can't do the things listed above.  My cry to You tonight is that You bring these things to bear in my life. 

 

The degree to which Your Kingdom is real to me is the same degree to which I can let go of pursuing earthly gain. I ask that You shine through the windows of my soul in a way that brings Your Kingdom to life inside of me.  Make it so real to me that it becomes a tangible reality.  Put Your Kingdom agenda on for forefront of every thought I have and every action I take.  Divorce me from the nastiness that results from seeking earthly treasure and man's approval.  Help me find my every satisfaction in only You.

No comments: