Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Desiring God

Today's Reading:  Psalm 63 & Matthew 9

 

Scripture:

"My soul is satisfied as with marrow and fatness, and my mouth offers praises with joyful lips."  Psalm 63:5

 

Observation:

When you strip away all the pursuits of man and look at the core motivation behind what each is looking for, a satisfied soul and a mouth full of praise is at the heart of each pursuit. 

 

This verse is the promise of walking after God.  It is the ultimate fruit that is promised to each life.  The circumstances of life matter not; God's hand upon a life will lift it above circumstances, bring satisfaction to the soul, and fill his or her mouth with praise.

 

Application:

I have not given to God what is rightfully His.  He is a jealous God and He wants exclusive rights to my soul and my praise.  I do not offer these things to Him alone.  There are days when I feel dried up and just need to get away from everyone and everything.  I head off into the sunset looking for something to fill my soul, but I leave God behind. 

 

There is nothing sinful in vacations, hunting, fishing, golf, or romantic getaways with my wife.  But, they can not satisfy weary soul or fill a potty mouth with praise.  At best they can offer some temporary relief and escape from the pressures of life. 

 

Prayer:

Father I sing songs in church and confess You as being my everything.  I pray prayers and confess You are my all-in-all.  But I live a life that does not always reflect this.  As I read Psalm 63 this morning I am overwhelmed by the gap between where David is with You and where I stand today.

 

I ask this morning that You help me to give myself away to You.  I want my soul to long for only You.  I want my mouth to be filled with sincere praise over who I know You to be.  I want to see Your power and glory in real and tangible ways.  I want to remember You on my bed and for even my dreams to meditate on You.  I ask that You become my all consuming pursuit in this life.

No comments: