Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Beast That is Religion

Today's Reading: 1 Samuel 18:12-16; Psalm 11; & Matthew 3

Scripture:
"and they were being baptized by him in the Jordan River, as they confessed their sins." Matthew 3:6

Observation:
This is an incredible scene. The act of baptism had long existed. It was reserved for Gentiles who wanted to convert to Judaism. The Jews hated the Gentiles. Hated them. By following John in baptism they were publically acknowledging that they themselves were as the Gentiles. It was a humbling act for them as they admitted publically that what was on the inside of their heart was not anywhere close to what they pretended to be on the outside. They were tired of religious lives. They were thirsty for something genuine.

Application:
Religion really is a horrible beast. As I think back over my life I am appalled at the time I wasted chasing after it. As I grow older I am even more appalled by what I see it doing to our society today. So what is the deal with religion? I hate it deeply, so why do I have to guard against it so much?

I think the answer lies in the hidden recesses of my heart. There is a level of intimacy with God that simply is not achievable if I do not submit to Him ever square inch of my heart. That is why religion becomes so alluring. It creates a system of justification that allows me a hiding place for desires I can't control or do not wish to acknowledge as sin.

Prayer:
There were two groups of people standing at the river that day listening to John. One group turned their back and walked away unchanged by the truth You spoke through John. The other stepped out in a bold move of self abandonment, humbled themselves and admitted their full depravity in the midst of all who were watching.

Father, it is in me to be among those who refuse Your word in order to hold on to my thoughts, feelings, and actions. Saving face is my default nature. I confess to You today that I allow pride to hold me back from being fully Yours.

Father I do not want a religion. Nothing in me desires to be a religious person. I simply desire to be a man after Your heart. Help me today find Your strength to overcome the things that inhibit me from fully walking in Your grace. Pour into me everything I need to be fully devoted; devoted to the point that I may find the same courage as the Jews noted in this passage.

No comments: