Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Confessions

Today's Reading:  Psalm 57 & Matthew 8

 

Scripture:

"Now when Jesus heard this He marveled…"  Matthew 8:10

 

Observation:

What the centurion believed about Jesus mattered.  The level of faith he had in Jesus was great enough that is caused Jesus to pause and marvel at Him.  This man's faith also caused his servant to find healing. 

 

In Psalm 57, I also see that what David believed about God mattered.  When David wrote Psalm 57 Saul's pursuit of his life had forced him into a cave.  Think about it.  Just a short period of time prior, David was minding his own business and taking care of his father's sheep.  He did not seek a mission from God, God sought him for a mission.  David agreed to follow after Him and now he sat in total physical and mental torment.  David could have made a great case against God.  Instead he chose to confess truth over emotion.

 

Two men both facing difficult circumstances.  For both of them what they knew in the hearts about God brought them through. 

 

Prayer:

Ok, I am a bit of a baby.  Pain, discomfort, adversity, and frustrations bring out the worst in me.  In moments of prolonged strife I wear down and become a slave to what I feel or what I want.  Finding a path of escape becomes my all-consuming desire.

 

Father, I ask that You forgive my grumbling.  I admit to You this morning that I have felt slighted in a couple areas of my life and this has greatly affected my beliefs about You.  Instead of allowing Your truth to heal my life, I have allowed my pride and anger to distort my image of You.

 

I confess today that You alone are my refuge and my strength.  It is You alone who has the power to accomplish great things before me.  Father, I believe that You send Your truth and lovingkindness before me today.  Open my eyes to see them both.

No comments: