Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Need for Seed

Today's Reading: 1 Samuel 7:3-4; Psalm 72; & 2 Corinthians 9

Scripture:
"Now He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness." 2 Corinthians 9:10

Observation:
All things are from God and for God. Seeds come in all forms and produce many different types of harvest. In my reading this morning I feel drawn towards three seeds I would like to see sown in abundance.

Application:
I need a deeper desire to see God's glory come. Psalm 72 is a shining example of a man of God seeking His glory. I use the term God's glory to describe why I do things, but I inside I really battle with this. More time than not the thing that I am seeking is my own peace and comfort.

I need a deeper brokenness for the poor. It is not my responsibility to care for the poor; it is God's. In Psalm 72 God says that He will take care of them. So while it is not my responsibility, it is impossible for me to follow after God and not take care of the poor. His heart will always lead me there to be used by Him.

I need a deeper appreciation of the gift of God. Good news. Blessed hope. Precious gift. Riches. Honor. These are just a few of the words penned in the letters of the New Testament used to describe what God did through Jesus. I do not know why it is so easy to lose sight of that. God did an amazing work on the cross and I must allow the beauty of that work produce its harvest in my life.

Prayer:
Precious Father. All glory belongs to You, forgive me for not seeing it. The poor and needy are close to Your heart, forgive me for not hearing their cries. The gift of Your Son is indescribable, forgive me for taking it for granted.

You see my needs and know the seed I need. I trust today that You are faithful to produce inside of me an abundant harvest of all the good things You desire for my life. You alone are faithful to complete every word You have spoken over me. Help me today to sow what You given to me so that those around me may share in Your harvest.

No comments: