Friday, April 24, 2009

He is Beautiful

CORRECTED BIBLE VERSE:  Today's Reading:  Psalm 109:21-31 & Matthew 11

 

Scripture:

"'Come to me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest'.  'Take my Yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.'"  Matthew:11:28-29

 

Observation:

In the context of this chapter Jesus is not speaking to the lost; He is talking to the Jews.  The Jewish law was complex and impossible.  From what I understand there were over 600 commands just associated with observing the Sabbath.  There were various interpretations of these laws depending on the teacher you followed.  The teachings of a Jewish Rabbi were referred to as his yoke because it was a sign of submission to the Rabbi.  It is the same imagery of the yokes used to connect oxen to plows.

 

Times have changed, but the message is the same: religion that loses sight of the gospel is burdensome. 

 

Application:

This verse reminds me of a few things this morning.  First, I have to become weary and tired before I will turn something over to God.  Jesus did not say come to me before you become weary.  He said come to Me all that are weary.  There is a level of submission that I am not capable of finding until I have failed on my on terms.

 

Second, I have to come to Jesus in submission.  Take my yoke is the command that He levels.  It is not about coming to Him with my own agenda or to get my own way.  It is about coming to Him emptied of me and ready to serve Him, His way.

 

Third, Jesus us beautiful.  He does not rub failure in my face.  He does not make me pay for what I did.  He took my shortcomings upon Himself and removed them from me.  He is gentle.  He is humble.  He gives rest.  He is a fierce warrior against His enemies but is a safe place of comfort to His followers. 

 

Prayer:

Thank you.  That is the simple prayer of my heart this morning.  You are gentle.  Your burden is light.  You have paved the way for me to live a life of peace, acceptance, and love.  I have nothing to fear, nothing to lose, and everyday inches me closer to the better things yet to come.  My hope is renewed everyday and my soul becomes more content and more alive with each passing moment. 

 

The storms of life come, but I rest.  The taunts of enemies rise up, but they are no more threatening than a toddler.  The complexity of the world closes in, but You always open the door for escape.  Thank you for the gift of Your Son and the mission You place on my life.  Guide me today as I seek to live for Your Glory.

No comments: