Wednesday, April 29, 2009

No Need for Signs

Today's Reading:  Psalm 139 & Matthew 16

 

Scripture:

"…do you know how to discern the appearance of the sky , but cannot discern the signs of the times."  Matthew 16:3

 

Observation:

There are many aspects of life that can become confusing.  Understanding what is happening, why it is happening and what should be done about it can be tough.  Circumstances can seem random and things that happen can appear cruelly pointless. 

 

In the midst of seemingly pointless pain, worsening conditions or blatant attacks it is easy to lose sight of God's sovereign purpose.  As expectations are destroyed and faith is tested the true measure of a person's beliefs are revealed. 

 

Application:

I have seen me at my worst and it is not good.  I flat-out become unglued when my circumstances lose direction, purpose or meaning.  Just as the religious morons in this verse starting looking for a sign, I can often find myself sulking about feeling like I need some evidence or God's goodness.  As I read Psalm 139 this morning, I find some information about life I need to be reminded of. 

 

God desires more from me than religious acts, rights, rules or offerings.  He intimately knows and understands everything about me.  I am so close to my feelings and emotions that it becomes hard for me to process them.  God looks at things from afar.  He sees my thoughts in the broader context of my past, my present and my future.  His perspective is the only perspective that can help me make sense of me.  If I am not connected with Him on a daily, practical basis I will often find myself longing for meaning or purpose.

 

Prayer:

Father nothing in my life is random.  Just as You were with David, just as You were with Jesus; so are You with me now.  My life is not an accident and nothing in my past, present or future will ever be outside of Your hand.  The circumstances of my life are like a bit in my mouth.  They are the thing You use to control me.  You use them to close me in, slow me down, and direct me.

 

I ask that You search me and reveal to me the truth of my ways.  Teach me how to walk with You in a way that practically affects even my smallest decisions.  Father there are times that I call out for a sign.  What a foolish request.  Instead of seeking an external sign I pray that You search my heart, remove any hindrances, and consume my inner soul with the reality of who You are. Help me embrace the circumstances of my life and compare them to the greatness of who You are.  

No comments: