Thursday, April 23, 2009

No Mr. Rogers

Today's Reading:  Psalm 141 & Matthew 10

 

Scripture:

"Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."  Matthew 10:34

 

Observation:

Jesus was no Mr. Rogers.  He did not come to sing songs, tell encouraging stories, and make everyone feel good about themselves.  He came to destroy the stronghold Satan has in the lives of the lost.  He came to initiate a great offensive campaign against the gates of hell and demonic occupation of human souls. 

 

Application:

There are certain teachers of "Christian" teaching that really drive me nuts.  The picture is painted that if I put the right thoughts in my mind and have the correct amount of faith that the blessings of the LORD will pad my life from pain, discomfort, and loss.  Bunk.  Plain and simple Bunk. 

 

"The world will hate You."  "I send you out as sheep among wolves."  "They will scourge you in their synagogues." Those were Jesus' words to His disciples as He sent them out.  He did not give them 12 steps to their best life.  He called them to lose their life in pursuit of the better life that follows this one.

 

Prayer:

I confess to You this morning that there is a strong desire inside of me to find success in this world.  There is a strong desire inside of me to enjoy the comforts of this life.  My natural tendency is to protect my life, my possessions, and my dreams.  I also confess that I cannot turn these desires off.

 

I ask today that You give me the wisdom I need to not place the desire for the blessing above my desire for You.  I ask that everything I receive from You be held with an open hand and not lose heart when threats come my way.  May everything in my life serve Your glory; not my own.

 

Father, guard my mouth today that I may not speak evil.  Guard the desires of my heart that I may be protected from the enemy.  Give people around me the insight and courage needed to confront me when I am wrong.  Give to me the humility to accept correction and be a strong soldier.  

No comments: