Saturday, April 18, 2009

Dealing with Adversity

Today's Reading:  Psalm 34 & Matthew 5

 

Scripture:

"Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the LORD delivers him out of them all."  Psalm 34:19

 

Observation:

Being righteous does not guarantee a free pass through life.  There is not a scripture in the Bible that points to believers being able to live a pain-free life.  In fact, it is quite the opposite.  There are numerous passages that outline the same undertones as this one.  Hard times will come, but the LORD is there to deliver.

 

In the midst of adversity it is essential to seek after the LORD and avoid the natural tendency of human nature to seek sinful solutions.  Sin is never more tempting than it is when a man is pressed by his circumstances.

 

Application: 

If the LORD is to be my deliver from adversity there are three things I must keep in mind if I am to call upon Him.  First, I must not speak evil.  Anger is a part of my natural make up.  When I get amped up and pointed towards a person or circumstance my tongue and mouth start talking trash.  I can say some really vile things.  I sometimes I refer to it as "venting".  The Bible has a word for it too.  It is called "sinning".

 

Second, I must depart from evil and do good.  Satan knows there is not a better time to tempt me than when I am weakened from adversity.  There are days when everything hits the fan and I am tempted by my flesh to pursue actions that represent conduct unbecoming my call.  I must avoid these temptations.  But it is not enough to just avoid evil,  I must do good. It is awfully tempting to withhold good from others when I am going through hard times but I must avoid this temptation and allow God to continue to work through me. 

 

Third, I must seek peace and pursue it.  Adversity has a way of bringing out the very worst of my instincts for self-preservation.  I often trade in my pursuit of peace for the destruction of the person or thing causing my pain.  Laying aside my pride and truly pursuing peace is the only pathway that leads towards God. 

 

Prayer:

Life has a way of getting complicated.  Circumstances escalate and before I have time to really even think I find myself in the eye of a horrible storm.  The choices I make in these storms are critical.  I pray today that I chose to speak things that are representative of Your truth.  Help me to hold my tongue and refrain from speaking things that are evil. 

 

I also pray that Your protect me from seeking evil pleasures.  As adversity drains away my strength I become vulnerable to my past tendencies and I can really make some bad choices.  Instead of seeking relief in things that destroy me I ask that You create inside of me a desire to do good. 

 

Finally I pray that You help me seek and pursue peace.  Pursuing peace means that I let things go, offer forgiveness, and sacrifice things on my agenda.  Those are not actions I am good at.  My mind, will, and emotions set themselves against these things.  I pray for the strength to be a man of peace.

 

Those who look to who look to You see their faces become radiant.   Their lips continually carry Your praise.  They taste and see that You are good.  They never want of anything.  I am grateful today that You are faithful to those who seek You.  

No comments: