Friday, January 15, 2010

Battlefields

Reading: Mark 15

" Joseph of Arimathea came, a prominent member of the Council, who himself was waiting for the kingdom of God; and he gathered up courage and went in before Pilate, and asked for the body of Jesus." Mark 15:43-44


Evaluation:

There are a couple things to note from this act by Joseph. First, He had no idea how Pilate would react to the request. Pilate was angry over the ordeal, that much was evident. As a prominent member of the council who just forced the execution, there was a great chance Pilate would not be happy to see Joseph. Second, while he did not know how Pilate would react; Joseph had not doubt of the reaction from his fellow Jews. This move would irreversibly change his life and could even seal his fate. Finally, this move was substantial to God's plan. If Joseph had not taken the body then there would have been no proof to the Jews that Christ died. Following the resurrection it would have been really easy for the Jewish council to claim that the Romans had done something with the body.


Application:

As long as there is still breath in me it is never to late to act. Summing up the courage to take action is never easy. As I read the story of Joseph this morning I am reminded of three battlefields that accompany acts of faith.


The first is with those outside the faith. The Word says that the world is against the light of Christ. Satan will wage battle with what God is trying to do inside of me and will often use the things of the world to intimidate me or lure me away.


The second is with those inside the faith. People like things to be comfortable and predictable. The life of Christ is neither of those. It is likely that I can expect people to counsel me away from what God is doing in my life. Tradition and ritual will always war against the continually progressive mission of Christ.


The final battle is inside of me. It is too late. This is too small of an act. The odds of success are not good. The risk is too high. I am not strong enough. I do not feel ready for this. This will impact my family. This will not lead to anything of significance. I am sure Joseph heard each of these things as he prepared himself to act. I can fully expect internal hell and agony as satan wages war with my emotions over decisions God is asking me to make.


Prayer:

Your Word instructs me to make plans for battle but to always remember that victory is won by Your hand. Holy Spirit I pray today that You mentor me in the art of war. Teach me to prepare for the three battlefields I know I will face. My enemy is one, but his tactics are many. I am totally out of my league unless Your empowerment fuels my choices.


I also pray that You guard me against being used by satan. I never desire to find myself standing in the way of what You purpose to do in the life of another. Open my eyes to the legalism and ritualism that is alive inside of me. My desire to be comfortable and safe predisposes me to resist new things. Keep me sober in my interactions with others and embolden me to be an encourager of Your work in others.


This day is Yours and all that I do I offer to You. Please guide my steps so that the results of my day are a holy sacrifice to my most deserving Father and God.

No comments: