Tuesday, January 12, 2010

An Open Hand

Reading: Mark 12

"He then began to speak to them in parables: 'A man planted a vineyard. He put a wall around it, dug a pit for the winepress and built a watchtower. Then he rented the vineyard to some farmers and went away on a journey.'" Mark 12:1-2


Evaluation:

In this passage God is the man who planted the vineyard. The vineyard is the nation of Israel. The farmers are the leaders of Israel. As this parable continues through verses 3-11 Jesus tells of how the leaders of Israel not only frustrated their nation's purpose but also killed those who were trying to fulfill it. They were so jealous and possessive that they ignored the welfare of the very people they were supposed to be bringing to God.


Application:

I am no different from the leaders of Israel. Everything that I have in my life has been planted by God. Everything I have leadership over is not mine to own. I am just a farmer working rented land. The second I forget this and begin to hold on to things in hopes of accomplishing my own agenda; I become greedy. Greed will consume anything and everything in its nasty pursuit of more.


Prayer:

My marriage is a vineyard You planted. My kids are a vineyard You planted. My work is a vineyard You planted. My relationships are a vineyard You planted. My ministry to others is a vineyard You planted. My resources are a vineyard You planted.


There are many days when I look at these things and struggle with truly recognizing their true owner. This morning I am crystal clear that they are not mine to own and control; they are Yours. I ask that You lead me today in being a faithful steward of the vineyards You have planted for me. When You come for the harvest I pray that You find me holding onto healthy vineyards with an open hand.

No comments: