Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Story Before

Read: Mark 16

"So then, when the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God. And they went out and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked with them, and confirmed the word by the signs that followed."

Mark 16:19-20


Evaluation:

Reading the Bible is an interesting challenge. Each individual verse is full of power and knowledge, but it is important to read the Bible as story so that the broader context is not missed. This verse is powerful and contains a lot of truth, but a great deal of story took place before they arrived at this point.


Application:

I live with a sense of urgency. The older I get the greater this urgency seems to become. As time passes it seems to do so at an ever increasing pace. Where I once would look up and wonder where the day went, I now look up and wonder where the year went. The passing of time feels as if it is escalating towards a full on sprint. This realization further fuels my desire to get things right and get moving.


While a sense of urgency is important and valuable it is also quiet risky. My desire to achieve can push me to become hard on myself and can fully cause me to miss the fact that I am on a journey. There are no short-cuts. Discipleship is a lifestyle. Just as the disciples lived, so shall I. There will be days of doubt and days of firm faith. There will be great victories and devastating failures. There will be mountain top experiences and the cold darkness of the valley.


Prayer:

I am not a patient individual. This is especially true when it comes to affording myself grace and latitude. I get frustrated when I am caught up in the process of being molded. I pray that You calm me down. Focus me in on the things I need to do to arrive at the place You desire me to be.


While I am living out the story that has to take place before You complete Your work in me, I ask that You help me to remain faithful in the little things. I may not be able to do all the things I feel like I need to, but there are many things I can do. Help me to do those things in a manner that is pleasing to You.


Father I also ask that You remind me that I am not alone. The Holy Spirit has been sent to me as a helper and Christ is seated at Your right hand to advocate on my behalf. This journey of discipleship is not about me and my effort. It is about You, Your grace, Your love, and Your authority.

No comments: