Monday, January 18, 2010

Fair-Weather Fan

Reading: Psalm 5

"You have relieved me in my distress." Ps 4:1


Evaluation:

David faced many trials in his life. It is most likely that this particular trial was related to the civil unrest created by David's own son. The kingdom was divided and people were taking sides and fighting for control. In the midst of division, bickering, backstabbing, and discord; David models a great method for walking through those times in a Godly manner.


Application:

First, David says to tremble before the Lord and do not sin. This means that I should not elevate a person or situation to a place of prominence in my life. When I fail at this, I do so by allowing hostile people and angry situations to overrun my emotions and take control of my behavior. Regardless of what I face I should never allow any person or circumstance remove me from God's presence.


Second, David says to search my own heart and be still. One of my mentors once told me that I should always pay attention to things that generate strong, negative emotions in me. In seasons of stress it is critical to find space to withdraw and evaluate my own heart. During this evaluation God will often reveal something about me that needs to change and He also uses these times to make His character tangible to me.


Finally, David says to live right before the Lord. Hard times can bring out the worst in me. I am never more vulnerable to sin and failure than I am when I am being riddled with adversity. It is never more tempting to doubt my God than when trials seem to mock His word. It is never more tempting to walk away from following after Christ than when struggles have drained me of my drive.


Prayer:

No body respects a fair-weather fan. As I reflect back over my life I can definitely see that I have that trait in me towards You. Prolonged seasons of lack have often caused me to lash out at You and doubt Your goodness.


Teach me to better respond to the things in my life. As I think through the events planned for my week I see so much opportunity for moments of doubt and frustration. I can hear the roar of my enemy through the trees and it is hard to stand firm. Help me to apply the truth of Your Word to the circumstances of my week.


I am grateful today that You are no fair-weather fan of me. Every time I have lashed out or walked away, You have always been there to lovingly correct me and welcome me back. Your grace and mercy are above anything I can imagine. Thank You.

No comments: