Friday, January 22, 2010

Doormats & Champions

Reading: Psalm 12 & 13

"'Now I will rise' says the LORD, 'I will set him in the safety for which he longs'" Psalm 12:5


Evaluation:

As troubles continued to be piled on top of David he had to choose between taking action himself or continuing to seek after God. David stayed in faithful pursuit of God until he heard the words of his Father noted above.


Application:

There was a time in my life when I was a doormat. I allowed people to walk over me and never really said much about it. This was not a holy act. I did not allow it to take place in hopes of honoring God. In fact, it often left me bitter, hurt, and angry at both the person running over me and God.


Something changed in me about twelve years ago and I decided I was no longer continent to allow the shoes of others to tread on me. The days of the doormat were over. I learned to fight back and fight back I did. This was not a holy act either. In fact, it often left me bitter, hurt, and angry at both the person I was warring against and God.


I am reminded this morning that neither my anger nor my passivity can accomplish the will of God. Neither of them can take me to a holy place. Neither of them can lead me to peaceful rest. God does not desire for me to be a doormat nor does he desire for me to be my own champion. God's desire is that I allow my conflict with others to draw me deep into His heart and follow His leadership. When the time is right He will lead me to the safety I long for.


Prayer:

Father finding the balance between being a doormat and a champion is something that is beyond my capacity. I seem to land on one extreme of the other. People can be vicious. Anger breeds anger. Hate breeds hate. It is so hard to sit idle and watch bad behavior oppress me and cause me pain. Instead of allowing it to draw me near to Your heart I often allow it to engage my natural defenses and I attempt to resolve the situation in my own anger. I confess that to You this morning.


Father there are situations I am facing now that are difficult to navigate. The angry attacks of some have left me feeling vulnerable, agitated, and prepared to defend myself.


I give this to You today. I do not know how to not fight and avoid being a doormat at the same time. It feels to me like I will end up being one or the other. If I choose to fight I pray that it only be in defense of an injustice done to others or in pursuit of Your greater purpose. If You desire me to be a doormat I pray that You lead me to do this in a way that does not rob me of my dignity and self-worth.


Father I am asking You to move today in these tough situations I face. Change my heart and the hearts of those on the other side of my adversity. Draw us all closer to You and lead us all to a place of peace and rest.

No comments: