Friday, January 29, 2010

How Low Can I Go

Reading: Acts 5

"So they went on their way from the presence of the Council, rejoicing that they had been considered worthy to suffer shame for His name." Acts 5:41


Examination:

The response of apostles is incredible. These guys were sold out. Every moment of everyday they were tormented by the Jewish leaders. They discovered that the grace of God was able to overcome anything. Instead of losing focus, they allowed the torment to push them deeper into the heart of God. They became so close to God that even the trauma of public beatings served only to bring them greater joy.


Application:

How low can I go? That question is stirring in my mind this morning and beckoning me to give it consideration. Where is my breaking point? In the face of adversity how long will I endure before I cry out to God to change my circumstances? What am I willing to lose to follow Christ. Security? Comfort? Pride? Dreams?


I am afraid that my real answer is that I am not willing to go very low at all. One angry person coming against me without cause has a way of completely consuming my thoughts. One unresolved desire can send me into a dark state of frustration. One prayer that does not result in my comfort or success leaves me pouting like a wounded child.


Prayer:

Father I am grateful that You and I can have honest conversations. The manner in which You speak into my life is so incredible. You never mince words and speak straight truth to me. At the same time I never feel condemned or guilty. You are the safest place for me and I deeply appreciate Your voice speaking into my life.


You know I am Christian elitist at heart. Part of my expectation of following after You is that good things should always happen to me. This leads to a great deal of confusion and frustration when things do not turn out so well. I confess this to You this morning and ask that You change my heart.


Move my praise beyond superficial words that resound from my heart only when I feel good. Teach me to allow my praise to be a wellspring from within my soul that carries a joy much too deep to be affected by seasons of drought and heat.

No comments: