Friday, November 20, 2009

Defining "IT"

Today's Reading: Matthew 5:1-16; Matthew 6:5-15; & Matthew 7


Scripture:

"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened unto You." Matthew 7:7


Observation:

Ask and "IT" will be given. Knock and you will find "IT". The key to this passage is found in chapters that come before. This is not a blanket statement covering anything that I desire to have. It is buffered by Christ's teaching in the previous chapters. The key becomes defining the "IT" I ask for and seek after.


Application:

The problem with me is that the thing I am asking for is rarely the thing that I need. I am reminded this morning that there are normally three "IT's" that God will always give to me when I pray: ambitions that are Kingdom focused, a heart for the corporate good and a clear view of my unhealthy thoughts.


Prayer:

Jesus You taught me in Matthew 6:16-24 that seeking earthly treasure is of no good to me. You make that abundantly clear and yet that is where a majority of my prayers stop and start.


I set my sights on something of earthly value (things, relationships, possessions or success) and then allow the lack of having it to drive me nuts. So I pray asking for it and lose sight of anything else in life until I get it.


It is insanely stupid for me to think that You are going to freely give me something that You have so clearly taught is no good for me. I ask that You forgive my pig-headedness.


I confess to You this morning that regardless of what I feel the thing that I need is to have all my ambitions be focused on Your Kingdom agenda, my driving desires to all be pointed towards the corporate good of others, and my stinking thinking to be replaced by pure thoughts about You and the life You have given me. Everything else is just chaff that will be burned or swept away.

2 comments:

Scott Grice said...

Is it because we are so close in age that your posts resonate with me so? Maybe it's the timeless message in the Word? Thanks for these little blurbs.

Jason Hester said...

The timelessness of the Word and the oneness of the Spirit is the source of the resonance. God teaches that there is no struggle except that which is common to all men. We all fight the same battles and wrestle with the same demons. The incredible power of the Word to speak into my life thousands of years after it was written is amazing to me. It encourages me greatly to know that I am not alone. Thank you for the encouragement.