Monday, November 9, 2009

Transfer of Title

Today's Reading: Job 34:21; 1 Corinthians 5; & 1 Corinthians 6:12-20


Scripture:

"For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body." 1 Corinthians 6:20


Observation:

My life is no longer my own. So much of what has been published in the Christian community over the past ten years has outlined all the benefits of being a Christian. The gospel somehow has become twisted into a "me centric" collage of empty promises and invitations for self indulgence and big dreams of prosperity.


In this verse Paul reminds me that my life no longer belongs to me. I transferred the title back to God the day I accepted Christ. In verses 12-20 I see three things that I can to bring God glory with my life.


Application:

First I have to get rid of the "have to's" God freed me from the burden of the law yet I continually revert back to my list of should's and should not's. Part of the blessing of salvation in Christ Jesus is that I have been made whole. There is no longer any law to keep. Paul says, "all things are lawful for me." Nothing can separate me from God or improve my standing with Him.


Second, I have to set my sights on things that are profitable. The freedom gained in Christ is countered by the reminder that not everything is good. Paul says that while all things are lawful not everything is profitable. If I allow my freedom to feed my flesh and pursue my own desires then I am nothing short of a fool.


Finally, I have to understand that I am a temple for something Holy. It is amazing to me to think about the reverence I was taught to have for the church building. There are things that I absolutely would never do in a church. But here is the deal, the church building is not the temple of the Holy Spirit; my body is. I should have an enormous amount of reverence for my decisions regarding where I go and what I do.


Prayer:

Father God, there is nothing in me capable of being what You desire me to be. There is no way I can withstand the weight of my temptations. I have historically proven myself to be completely inept at honoring even the smallest of convictions I have or promises I have made.


If left to my own I will consume anything and everything in pursuit of what I want or desire. Knowing this about myself it is utterly amazing to me that I continually try to take back the title of my life and pursue You on my own terms; yet, that is what I do on a daily basis.


This morning, as best I can from where I am I lay myself before You. I ask that You help me discern the things that are profitable for my soul and allow my desire for those things to grow. I pray that I live out my life today in a manner that honors the extraordinary investment You made in me.

No comments: