Saturday, November 21, 2009

My Who

Today's Reading: Matthew 8:1-17; Matthew 9:35-38; & Matthew 10


Scripture:

"...and Judas Iscariot, the one who betrayed Him." Matthew 10:4


Observation:

Judas really blew it. The man is forever inked as a shining example of greed and betrayal. All men live and all men die. That is a common fate assigned to every person who walks the earth. It is common ground upon which we all stand.


One day I will leave this earth and pass on to the life that follows this one. There is a statement waiting for me that says, "Jason Hester, the one who ________."


Application:

Thankfully my "who" is still blank and I have some time. That is good but it also presents itself with an issue around what do I want my "blank" to say? Over the years I have filled the blank in with many things. There are seasons of my time that would have left that blank filled with words that would have shamed my legacy. While I am grateful for the chance to continue working on my "who"; I am also sobered by the reality that the choices I make today are determining the words to be penned that will forever ink my legacy in the hearts of those who come after me.


Prayer:

"In word, spirit, and deed he reflected the life of Jesus Christ." That is the true answer to what I should desire to have people say when they fill in the blank describing my life. Reality, however, is that I still struggle with this one. Given the fact that You know everything about everything I know that does not surprise You; but it frustrates me the mess out of me.


My choices regarding my desires and my passions will ultimately write the history of my life and determine the legacy I leave behind. That is a little frightening to me. I know my desires. I know my passions. You have brought me a long ways from the places I used to frequent with them, but I also look in the mirror everyday and know full well that my flesh is still dying and is fighting tooth and nail on its way out.


The only thing that I fear in this world is the enemy that lies within me. There is an internal traitor who has no plan other than self-destruction. I sit with You this morning and simply confess that I am completely unable to live a life worthy of any better legacy than Judas'. If left to my own I would consume anyone and anything in pursuit of the things that satisfied any itch I had.


I pray that You lead me to follow well today. Consume my heart with desires and passions that point towards a strong spiritual legacy and guide me with the wisdom I need to make those choices. Pure and holy passions often require me to delay my gratification; so I also ask that You sustain me today as I deny myself, take up my cross, and follow after You.

No comments: