Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Spice of Life

Today's Reading: 1 Corinthians 12


Scripture:

"If they were all one member, where would the body be?" 1 Corinthians 12:19


Observation:

Variety is more than the spice of life; it is the necessity of life. God scrambled His gifts among His people so that we would always be lacking if we were not working together.


Application:

Who is disagreeing with me? Who is balancing my thinking? Whose voice is in my ear expanding my vision? Who is challenging me with something I have not thought of before?


If I ever reach a point where I can not fill in those blanks then I need to become concerned. God did not send me to make things resemble what I want them to be. He has gifted me for the common good and so everything I do must be for the common good.


Prayer:

My dad always told me that if the only tool in your toolbox was a hammer then everything looks like a nail. I feel that it is the same way with spiritual gifts. It is so hard to remember that I am a one tool show if I am not surrounded by people with different gifts and ideas.


I pray today for the humility needed to allow my ideas and plans to be altered by the input of others. I pray that I be a faithful servant to all the people You have given to me. Provide me with the wisdom and discernment I need to recognize their gifting, help them fully discover it, and lead them in fulfilling their promise.

No comments: