Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Stop Selling Short

Today's Reading: 2 Corinthians 8 & 9


Scripture:

"And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed." 2 Corinthians 9:8


Observation:

In the beginning God created the heavens and earth. He stood above the vast nothingness that was before heaven and earth and spoke into existence everything that is. Millions up millions of pages of text have been written trying to explain the simplest of things in nature that God spoke into being and they still come up short of understanding His design. He has no beginning. He has no end. All that is belongs to Him. At the sound of His voice mountains fall and seas split.


This is my God. Man do I sell short the potential that lies inside of me with God. This God of the creation redeemed me from the life I lived, forgave my every wrong, and planted inside of me His Holy Spirit. I live everyday with access to the same source of strength that gave Christ power over the grave and enabled every other miracle in the Bible to take place.


Application:

If that is my potential, then why is it not being fully released? As I read through the text in 2 Corinthians 8 & 9 I see three things that can block God releasing His power in my life.


First, I have to be surrendered to God's plan. Many times I come to God looking for Him to unleash His power so that I can pursue the things that I want to do. God's desire is for me to get on board with what He wants to accomplish.


Second, I have to be generous to others. I need to start with what I have and allow God to have complete use of all my time, talents, and resources. God supplies extra to me to give to those who have greater need than me.


Third, I have to let God be my supply. I limit myself to what I have. I stand on my own and try to take care of myself. In doing this I miss out on the unending supply of my God.


Prayer:

Father I need Your help to stop selling short the potential You have entrusted to me. From where I am as best I can I submit to Your plans for my life. The things I want are powerless to do anything unless they are truly the things You desire for me. I also give to You the resources that I have. I have a tendency to think so little of what I have that I do not give of it others. That is pride on my part. I pray that You open my eyes to see the resources that You are able to bring and stop limiting myself to what I can measure in my own life.

No comments: