Monday, November 23, 2009

Three Stops

Today's Reading: Matthew 15 & 16


Scripture:

"But He turned and said to Peter, 'Get behind me satan! You are a stumbling block to me; for you are not setting your mind on God's interests, but man's.'" Matthew 16:23


Observation:

These words sound harsh and they are. Peter was missing the point of the mission. He walked with Christ daily and yet he still was missing where it was that Christ was taking him.


The same is very true of my life. I have the potential to be right in the center of God's will for my life or I can choose to be a stumbling block to my Savior. From today's reading I see three things that I must stop doing in order to guard against this.


Application:

First, I have to stop seeking signs. It is in my nature to want proof before I will commit to anything. Faith requires taking God at His word and moving forward. Looking for signs is a farce. Even if I get the sign I seek it will not be any easier to believe. Belief is birthed in the heart; not the head.


Second, I have to stop waiting to be resourced. I look at the needs around me and compare them to the resources I possess. In doing this I am always woefully short. I do not have the patience, time, energy, wisdom, purity, peace, understanding, money, or opportunity to address all that I see on a daily basis. In doing this I miss the point. God does not care what I have; He just wants me to be mobilized.


Finally I have to stop seeking life. This one is all about my will for my life. I have dreams. I have ambitions. I have a picture in my head of what I want to be, what I want to do, and what I want my legacy to be. If I am running to God only to pursue these things then I will constantly be disappointed. God did not indwell me to make much of my life. He redeemed and empowered me to make much of His will for redeeming this world.


Prayer:

The redemption of the world. I stare at that sentence and the words reflect back to me an image that is not nearly as beautiful to me as it should be. There is still too much of me in me. My desires are not for the redemption of the world in as much as they are centered on the preservation of my ideas, beliefs, values, and desires.


Father, I am completely powerless to let go ambitions. I would say I can try but I know without a doubt I will return to them. Bottom line is that I have limits to what I am willing to do for You. There are places I will not go, things I will not do, and sacrifices that I will not make. I confess this to You this morning and in all humility ask for Your help in stopping the things You have asked me to leave behind.

No comments: