Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Hard of Hearing

Today's Reading: Mark 15 & 16


Scripture:

"They went away and reported it to the others, but they did not believe them either." Mark 16:13


Observation:

The disciples were hurting. They had to be. All their hopes and dreams were nailed to and died on the cross with Jesus. I would imagine that as best they could they were turning towards God looking for direction and looking for answers. Three times God tried to answer them. Three times unbelief made it hard to hear.


Application:

Sometimes it is just flat-out though to hear from God. Problems, boredom, fear, and confusion are just a few of the things that can drown out the sound of God's voice. When I fold into that mix my desires, dreams, aspirations, and recreation it becomes incredibly easy to be extremely isolated from God.


Prayer:

It feels as though there is power missing from my life. As I read the passages in the Bible I can't help but notice the gap that exists between their experiences of You and mine. The encounters they had with You were so real. So tangible. Their lives were flip turned upside down by who they knew You to be and what they saw You doing in and through them.


I am not sure where to go with this prayer other than to ask that You continue to grow me in my faith. I ask that Your power meet my words and works in manner that ignites Your movement in my world. Every desire in my heart I lay before You in acknowledgment that they are all useless and powerless to do anything accept make it hard for me to hear from You.

No comments: