Monday, November 16, 2009

Get Your Head in the Game

Today's Reading: 2 Corinthians 4 & 5


Scripture:

"Therefore, since we have this ministry, as we received mercy, we do not lose heart." 2 Corinthians 4:1


Observation:

When I played sports the coach would often yell at me to get my head in the game. When I heard that phrase from the sidelines I immediately understood that I was missing out on something that I knew to do but was not paying close enough attention to what was taking place around me to act on it.


Application:

I hear the same phrase this morning coming from God. Losing heart is among the most destructive choices I can make. I say choice because I need to be reminded that while I can not chose my circumstances; I can chose my reaction to them. It is my reaction to circumstances that determines the condition of my heart. As I read this morning I am reminded of three choices that can protect my heart.


First, I can choose to walk free from guilt. My life is draped in mercy. I get to live everyday of the rest of my life with a clean slate. God has forgiven and renewed every mistake and my life has been freed from the things I deserve. Regardless of what happens during the course of a day I have the love of a Father that is not tied to my behavior.


Second, I can choose to look past this life. Pain in this life is real. It hurts. It is uncomfortable. It can be tormenting. Misery can pile on misery and things can get out of hand in a hurry. But, at it worse, this life is only temporary. Every storm that brews in my life will deliver its punch and then it will leave without having any impact on my eternal destiny. It is just a storm. The sun will return. Calm skies will prevail. I just can't give them my heart.


Third, I can choose to be renewed daily. God sits poised every morning waiting on me to connect with Him and walk after Him in humility, surrender, and obedience. His word says that as I do this the peace inside of me will grow each day even in the midst of the trials of this life.


Prayer:

Father I pray that my greatest ambition today be pleasing You. This world and all it has to offer is empty compared to what I find everyday when I choose to walk after Your heart. I pray that You help me keep my head in the game today. Guard my choices and empower me to stay focused. I hand my life to You and ask that You fill it only with the goodness You desire for me. Remind me that this world is not my home and protect me to harboring sin in my heart.

No comments: