Monday, November 2, 2009

Holding Fast

Today's Reading: Job 23:10-12 & Mark 12


Scripture:

"But He knows the way I take; when He has tried me, I shall come forth as gold." Job 23:10


Observation:

There is a lot about the book of Job that I do not get or understand. As I turn the pages it seems like each verse creates more questions than answers. As much room as there is for confusion I also find an equal amount of respect for the man named Job. Here is a man who experienced the absolute heaviest blow the world can deliver. He lost everything imaginable yet was able to be without sin.


In verses 10-12 of Job 23 I find four things I need to apply to my life that have the power to position me to hold fast to God during hard times.


Application:

First, I snappy better have a great relationship with God and place my total confidence in Him long before hard times hit. There is never ceasing tendency in my life to drift during easy times and run to God when I need a bail out. This is a risky and stupid choice.


Second, I need to memorize the truth of God and hold fast to it during dark days. I can not afford to risk walking this earth without knowing the words of God and standing firm in them. Life can brew a rotten storm in a moments notice and things intensify to the point that all seems lost. It is in these darkest days that I need to man up and hold on to what I know to be true of God.


Third, I need to guard my purity. Temptation is never sweeter than in seasons of life when my soul is pressed, my spirit is being drained, and my flesh is needy. In the midst of seasons of deprivation, pressure, and loneliness I need make sure that I keep my heart, mind, and actions pure.


Finally, I need to let nothing of this earth take away my desire for God's word. Job says it like this, "I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary food." These words flowed from the mouth of a man who literally lost everything in his life.


Prayer:

Conviction feels inadequate to describe what I feel this morning. My faith needs a tune up. I pray today that I connect with you in a way that is real and tangible enough to produce confidence within me. I ask that Your path be made abundantly clear before me and that I find the strength needed to pursue it as a man would pursue great treasure. Father I beg that Your Words be stored up in my mind and come to life in my heart.

No comments: