Friday, June 11, 2010

Boasting in the Lord

Read: 2 Corinthians 10

"But HE WHO BOASTS IS TO BOAST IN THE LORD. For it is not he who commends himself that is approved, but he whom the Lord commends." 2 Corinthians 10:17-18


Examine:

When we do something well we want to tell others and be recognized. It is human nature to desire recognition, but recognition is dangerous because it can lead to inflated pride. Paul is reminding the Corinthians to seek the praise of God rather than the praise of people.


Apply:

I want affirmation. The heart of any person is to hear someone say good job or well done. In and of itself affirmation is healthy, but is has a dark-side. It can also serve as a trap. Pride lurks around and looks for an opportunity to attach itself to something. Someone complements me and I can quickly take that to my head and feel like I am something or somebody. The truth of this verse is that I am somebody and something special, but it is not based on my performance. I am what I am because of the presence of God inside of me. That is what I need to celebrate and that is the thing of which I should boast.


Pray:

Father as I sit here this morning I realize that I need to allow You to overwhelm me with a hunger for Your glory. I look for glory on my own and this often leaves me at the mercy of the world for affirmation and vulnerable to my own pride. Help me to walk in a full expression of the glory of Christ that You have lavished on me. The Darling of heaven and the Lion of Judah is at work in me. All things that were His are available to me. I pray that I not settle for a normal or explainable existence. Help me to expect the miraculous and be so bold as to boast in the greatness of my God.

No comments: