Saturday, June 26, 2010

A Cloudy Crossroad

Read: 1 Thessalonians 4

"...and make it your ambition to live a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands, just as we commanded you," 2 Thessalonians 4:11


Examine:

There are four truths in this verse that are essential to the people of God: 1) Harness your ambitions. 2) Live a quiet life. 3) Attend to your on business. 4) Work with your hands.


Apply:

My ambitions can be controlled and healthy ambitions can be learned. I have to keep clear in my mind the things of Christ and pursue them until they become the driving force in my life and the sole source of my joy. My ambitions have been given to me and it is up to me to make wise choices with them.


I desperately need to strive towards a quiet live. The word Paul uses here means undisturbed, settled, not noisy. I have a tendency to get really worked up and press hard towards things. This leads to a lot of frustration and stress. I try to control results as I move towards goals. This steals peace from me and makes life uncomfortable for those around me.


I need to learn a better balance in encouraging other people and allowing them room to tend to themselves. There is certainly a time to speak into the life of another person, but there is also a time to stay clear of another person's choices.


I need to remember that work is not a curse. Labor is holy. God honors it. There is nothing in my life of any worth that came easy and there will never be anything of worth in my life that will come easy. God does not want me to be a burden to anyone. I need to work in a manner that controls my ambition, avoids a frantic pace, and steers clear of other people's business; but, I do need to be engaged in meaningful, difficult, and worthy work.


Pray:

Father, I hear what You are saying to me today and agree with You. I want to work in a manner that controls my ambition, avoids a frantic pace, and steers clear of other people's business. I pray that you lead to make wise choices today regarding these things.


I also need to be honest with You about the labor given to me. I am a little confused right now regarding the work You have set before me. I am really struggling to separate personal ambition and holy calling. Your path before me is obscure. I am standing at a crossroads and I am honestly clueless regarding my next steps. This is leading to a great deal of confusion and stress inside of me.


Hold me up Father. My heart is heavy, my hands are tired, and my thoughts are cloudy. Help me stay engaged while You work before me and make my path clear. Help me to be content while I wait. I pray that You lead me to make sober and wise choices that enable me to stay in alignment with You.

No comments: