Friday, June 18, 2010

A Right-Hand Man

Read: Psalm 80, 81, & 82

"Let Your hand be upon the man of Your right Hand, upon the son of man who You made strong for Yourself." Psalm 80:17


Examine:

There are a three definitions of a right hand man that are on my mine this morning. The term right hand man can refer to one who has the responsibility, knowledge, understanding, authority and ability to implement a plan articulated by one in a position of authority.


In Ancient Greece, soldiers typically fought in a formation called a phalanx, where co-operation between soldiers was vital. Each soldier carried his shield on his left side, while his right side was protected by the man standing to his right. Understood this way, the term refers to one who is a protector.


Finally, the most experienced Greek soldiers were often placed at the weak spot on the right hand side of a phalanx, where the outermost soldiers were unprotected by an overlapping shield. Over time the right hand side of Ancient Greek armies became a place of honor, where the best troops were stationed to prevent the exposure of this weak point.


Apply:

These are good applications for me to remember. God has called on me to be a right-hand man to Him. In Matthew 28 and in Acts 1 Jesus commands that I understand all authority has been given and He has commanded that I implement God's plan to make disciples of the earth. To be a follower of Christ means that I follow Christ. I need to know my responsibility, gain knowledge, develop understanding, carry my authority and get flippin busy. I have a mission and I need to spend myself in implementing that mission.


God has called me to be a right-hand man to other believers. I love the picture of the Greek phalanx. I am not called into battle alone. In Galatians six God commands that I bear the burdens of others and allow them to help bear mine. There is power in unity and protection. There is strength in numbers. I have to be a dependable source of strength to others of faith and find comfort in their shield protecting me.


The last picture is the scary one but it is also part of my call. There are times of mission that will force me to the edge. There are certain battles that will demand I cover the weakness of others and be left to defend my own. These are lonely times. These are exhausting times. This is what Jesus did in the garden the night of His arrest. He went alone to pray for His disciples and offered them grace when they were unable to stand beside Him. I need to strive to be the caliber of man that God needs to plug weak spots in His army.


Pray:

I want to be a man worthy of Your right hand, I want to be a brother of faith who can be counted on by others to be at their right hand, and I want to be strong enough in my faith to stand strong when no one is available to cover my weak spots. Father, all of these things require a connection with You that stands alone as my source of life, strength, and vision. I ask that You grow me today in my ability to walk after You. All that I have I offer to You. Take me as You desire and use me to further Your plans.

No comments: