Friday, June 25, 2010

Read: 2 Thessalonians 3

"...and may the Lord cause you to increase and abound in love for one another, and for all people, just as we also do for you; so that He may establish your hearts without blame in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all His saints." 2 Thessalonians 3:11-12


Examine:

The journey to finding inner peace and peace with others is a multi-billion dollar industry. Everybody is looking and when a new idea hits the market people flock to it by the dozens. We look for these things, we read books to learn about these things, and we make sacrifices to obtain these things.


Paul, in addressing the church at Thessalonica, delivers God's truth on how to best seek these things. Throughout the entire reading of the Bible love is one of the few things that followers of Christ are encouraged to use in excess. Paul is encouraging the people of Thessalonica to allow the love of God to increase inside of them and spill over into the lives of others. That is the only way for a man to establish his heart within him and live at peace with those around him.


Apply:

There are many things that beckon my attention. I strive to be an active dad, a faithful husband, a strong worker, a good friend and a honorable son. I discipline myself in these things and hope to be all that I can be for both myself and those around me. My days are full and I am intentional with the choices I make and constantly aware of the conditions in which I live.


As I read this passage, I am reminded that the love of Christ should be the main thing I pursue in life. I can work to be the best I can be but if I do not abound in true, Godly love then I have accomplished nothing.


Pray:

My mind is racing this morning. Father, I feel unsettled. The wavering and instability I feel on the inside has me chasing down my thoughts and passions searching for a way to calm the storm I feel inside. My prayer to You this morning is not that You would calm this storm. Quite the contrary, I ask that You continue to stir it up. I desire to live a life that counts and I can not do that if there is not a strong storm of unrest raging inside of me over something that breaks Your heart.


I pray that as the intensity of what I feel inside of me continues to strengthen that the light of Your love for me and the direction of Your will for my life will become blinding beacons of light for me to follow. I want to journey to the edge of my faith and stand in awe at the power of Your work. I want to be engaged in a pursuit of You that is worth my life. I want to experience the fruit of Your spirit in ways that are miraculous.


You have given me the breath I breathe so that I can partake in the building of Your kingdom and the establishment of a perfected eternity. My only fear today is that my selfish nature and sinful flesh will cause me to be led away in deceit. Guard my steps today. Filter my thoughts. Fuel my heart. Strengthen my faith. I ask that I be fully equipped today as I continue to navigate the unrest You are stirring inside of me.

No comments: