Monday, June 28, 2010

Weak Spots in Prayer

Read: 2 Thessalonians 1

"To this end also we pray for you always, that our God will count you worthy of your calling, and fulfill every desire for goodness and the work of faith with power." 2 Thessalonians 1:11


Examine:

Paul was a warrior in prayer. He constantly labored in prayer for those who were about the work of Christ. In this chapter he shows a consistent pattern that he normally followed. He prayed: 1) That they would suffer persecution well. 2) That God would grant them every desire that was good for the Kingdom. 3) That their faith would be presented with power. 4) That the name of Jesus Christ would receive glory.


Apply:

I have a tendency to look at prayer as the last or least thing that I can do. "All I can do now is pray." I do not know how many times I have uttered that phrase. For Paul, prayer was a must. It was not the only thing he could do, it was the very thing he was called to do. For me, prayer is like a donut sized spare tire I keep in the trunk but hope I never really have to rely on.


Pray:

Father, prayer is designed to be a powerful part of my life. I have lost my way with it. As I examine my prayer life this morning, I see four weak spots I need for You to strengthen.


I clearly remember a season during which all of my prayers were self-centered and void of power. I prayed for a lot of things that did not happen and it left me stripped of confidence. Instead of recognizing that my prayers were of the flesh, I became confused regarding the power of prayer. I pray that You restore me to a place of healthy confidence in my prayers regarding the needs in my own life.


I also get confused when people ask me to pray for a situation they face. In those moments it is hard to know what Your heart is for them. I ask that You speak loudly to me in those moments. Help me to enter their emotions and feel a strong sense of empathy for them. Bring to my mind scriptures You desire for them to know and help me lead them to Your shelter and provision.


I become timid when praying in a group of people. I am not shy; I just struggle with not sounding like a Pharisee. There is something in my flesh that desires to sound good in front of people and that worries about saying something wrong. There is power in praying together with believers. I ask that You enable me to forget about myself, connect with Your Holy Spirit in those moments, and speak Your words with boldness.


As much as it hurts to say this, I forget about praying for others. Interceding on behalf of those who are warring for the Kingdom is a certain weak spot in my prayer life. The culture I live in is a me first world and I have developed a me-first attitude with my prayers. I ask that You forgive me. Break my heart for those who are scattered abroad and are ministering in tough places. Bind them to my mind and empower me to keep them constantly before You in prayer.

No comments: