Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Heart Surger

Read: 2 Corinthians 7

"Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God." 2 Corinthians 7:1


Examine:

In this chapter Paul reminds the church at Corinth of a letter he previously wrote to them. In this letter he spoke some hard truth to them about the manner in which they were living out their faith. This letter caused heart ache for both Paul and the church. In this verse Paul is calling people to understand that the promises of God are well worth the pain of discipleship. We are called not to live miserable lives of self denial; but disciplined lives in pursuit of glorious promises.


Apply:

As I read this chapter I see three practices that I need to make sure I keep active in my life. First, I need to make room for people in my heart to speak truth to me. Paul speaks to this in verse two. This must be done with caution. People of God who speak the truth do so in love. They speak not of opinion but of scripture. They are not trying to edify themselves; they genuinely have a heavy heart for me to be in alignment with God. They are truly pure in motive and tender in approach.


Second, I need to receive truth and act on it. This means that I have to step into the pain of failure. There is no condemnation in Christ. There is no guilt in Christ. There is, however, remorse and conviction. I have to step forward, own my failures, and submit to God's authority. I have to daily take up my cross and pursue God's best for me. Thru out this chapter I see Paul affirm the church of Corinth for doing this very thing.


Finally, I have to speak truth to others and do so with pure motives. There is often a temptation to speak the truth to people only when they behavior annoys me and causes me personal discomfort. That is not what Paul is talking about in this chapter. His sole desire was for the people of Corinth to be in an earnest pursuit of God's glory. I have to allow God to create inside of me a greater passion for His glory and a deeper desire to have my heart broken for those who are experiencing a less than full expression of His promises.


Pray:

Father the heart is a tricky thing to manage. I latch on to things I should let go of and let go of things that should be held tight. I pray that You do some surgery on my heart today. Make it healthy. Create room in it for You to fill me to the full with the glory of Your promises. Open it wide for the people I come in contact with and help me to be effective at receiving truth and speaking truth.

No comments: