Tuesday, June 29, 2010

No Need for Speed

Read: 2 Thessalonians 2

"...that you not be quickly shaken from your composure or be disturbed either by a spirit or a message or a letter as if from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come." 2 Thessalonians 2:2


Examine:

In their context, it was easy for the early church to be fooled into thinking that Christ had returned and the rapture of the church had taken place. There was no world wide news network that would prove no one ascended into heaven. There was no way to pick up the phone and know that Paul and the other apostles were still there. The Bible was still being written so there was not a lot of text to calm them down. It was quite easy for the early church to get worked up and pressed into acting quickly.


Apply:

Whenever I feel pressed to act quickly I need to intentionally slow down and examine what is taking place. More times than not, satan is the one who is creating the need for speed. God is in no hurry. Satan wants me to become hurried, lose my composure, and become disturbed. God wants me paced, composed, and rational. God has no need for speed. Satan's only hope is that I move quickly before I discover his lie.


Pray:

Father, there are many things pressing down on me right now. The longer I live, the more aware I become of how little time I have on earth. This heightens the pressure I feel to move quickly. This has left me vulnerable to moving too fast, losing my composure, and becoming irrational. In these moments I open myself up to all forms of attack. I carry unhealthy stress that wears down my body. I exhaust my strength which leaves me open to sin. I lose sight of Your Word which opens me up to being deceived. I try to do things on my own which removes me from Your provision and blessing.


Your Word is clear that I should be anxious for nothing. I confess to You my anxious thoughts. Slow me back down. Lead me today with a tangible presence and a clear voice. Illuminate Your path before me and help me to walk through the events of this day at Your pace, firm in my composure, rational in my thoughts, and intentional in my direction.

No comments: