Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Waiting Instructions

Read: 1 Corinthians 16

"Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love." 1 Corinthians 16:13-14


Examine:

As the Corinthians awaited Paul's next visit, they were directed to: (1) be on guard. They were to be constantly watchful or alert for spiritual enemies that might slip in and threaten to destroy them whether it be divisions, pride, sin, disorder, or erroneous theology; (2) stand firm in what they believedthat is, the gospel that they had been taught in the beginning, the gospel that had brought them salvation; (3) be courageous so that they could stand against false teachers, deal with sin in the congregation, and straighten out other problems; (4) be strong, with the strength given by the Holy Spirit; and (5) do everything with love because without love, they would be no more than prideful noisemakers. Today, as we wait for the return of Christ, we should follow the same instructions.

(from Life Application Study Bible)


Apply:

My life is no longer mine. The day I accepted Christ as my Savior and Lord I surrendered my will to His, I laid down my desires for His and I put aside all that was in me and put on all that is His. In doing that I gained a permanent acceptance, received a grace that is untouchable, and was promised an eternity that is beyond imagination. With that great gift comes great responsibility. As I have reflected on this verse I am convinced that the entire Christian journey can be made strong by adhering to these five encouragements from Paul.


Pray:

Help me today to be alert and on guard. It is easy to forget that I am in a battle. It is easy to allow my spiritual journey to point towards complacency. It is easy to sit still and never even hear the enemy come and steal what is holy from me. Let my eyes, ears, and mind be aware of what is going on around me.


Help me to stand firm. Doubt creeps in and has a way of making my knees buckle. My uncertainty leads to hesitation and hesitation in a battle is death. Put my feet underneath me today and help my stance be absolute.


Help me to be courageous today. There are times that it is not enough to just stand tall in reaction to things that come my way. There are times when You call me to speak out and go after things that are not right. Stir my spirit with a courage to say the right thing even when it hurts.


Help me be strong today. Your Word tells me that the same power that raised Christ from the dead is at work inside of me. Your Son tells me that I can do greater things than even He did because of His completed work and the power of the Holy Spirit. Center my focus on the strength at work inside of me and shatter the poor image I have of myself.


Help me to ground all that I do in love. I can do all the right things but I can also do them for all the wrong reasons. Fill me to the fullest measure with a love that is purely from You.

No comments: