Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Holy Generosity

Read: 2 Corinthians 8

"Therefore openly before the churches, show them the proof of your love and of our reason for boasting about you." 2 Corinthians 8:24


Examine:

This entire chapter is about the proof of one's love for God being displayed in the form of generosity. There are a few things about generosity I see.


Apply:

First, holy generosity is not about being benevolent; it is about being holy before a holy God. In verses four and five Paul points out that I should first give myself to the Lord and then give to others out of what God provides to me. In order for my generosity to bring God glory it has done because of my love and respect for God and His glory.


Second, holy generosity will cost me. In my perfect world I never want to give beyond my comfort zone. I am rarely willing to give to the point that it affects my budget. Throughout this chapter, in verses two and three in particular, Paul reminds me that holy gifts are irrational gifts. They go above and beyond the capacity of the person giving the gift. They are risky gifts that cost the giver greatly.


Finally, holy generosity is the best way to spend my resources. At the end of the day everything I spend is intended to provide me with food, shelter, pleasure, or security. In this chapter Paul reminds me that there is no great pathway to this than to give to God. In verse four Paul paints a picture of impoverished people begging for the opportunity to contribute to God's work because of the joy it brings them.


Pray:

Generosity is something that I fit into the margin of my life and resources. This morning I am reminded that Your will is for my life is that I be defined by my generosity. Father I am short in this area. I am willing to give of myself but I have firm limits. I sense a strong call from You urging me to be a blessing in the lives of others. You give to me so that I may be a supply to others. I have to be more willing to trust that You will supply my needs. I have to allow You to develop inside of me a greater desire and joy in seeing You glorified in the lives of others. I pray that You increase my capacity to give.

No comments: