Thursday, June 24, 2010

Proving What is Ture

Read: 2 Thessalonians 2

"...but after we had already suffered and been mistreated in Philippi, as you know, we had the boldness in our God to speak to you the gospel of God amid much opposition." 2 Thessalonians 2:2


Examine:

Their mission had cost them dearly, but God gave them uncommon boldness to stand up and continue to preach the same message. This is not the reaction of people who are trying to make money or build personal reputations. Their boldness amid strong opposition was a sign of God at work in them and proof of their genuineness.


Apply:

Proof and evidence is something that today's world values highly and is something that matters to me. I want to know the facts. I want to study the research and come to my own decision about what I believe or do not believe. I approach my faith the same way. I have an almost irrational fear of believing in something that is not true. I do not want to be deceived and made to look foolish. Simply put, I am too proud to be wrong.


This passage from Thessalonians reminds me that proof of the gospel is not found in external facts nor is it contained in favorable reaction from men. The proof of the gospel is found in the work that it produces in my life and in the lives of those with whom I share it.


Pray:

Father, I have sat reading this passage and the question that is stirring inside of me is what level of opposition would it take for me not to share Your Gospel? I am afraid to answer that question. The compulsion inside of me to share You with others in my life is nowhere near where it should be.


Father, I hunger for You so much that it hurts. There is a longing desire in me to be the man You purpose me to be. From the moment I wake up until I lay my head back down at night I am consumed with thoughts of being more like Christ.


I pray that You lead me today to allow the work of Your Holy Spirit to be strong in me. Keep me far away from things that hinder Your work and carry me deep into the things that stir boldness and truth inside of me that is strong enough to prove what is true and what is holy.

No comments: