Sunday, June 20, 2010

Not for My Fame

Read: Psalm 85 & 86

"Teach me Your way O LORD; I will walk in Your Truth. Unite my heart to fear Your name." Psalm 86:11


Examine:

David was in a situation where he was being opposed by proud men. He was hurting. The circumstances where creating affliction for him. Instead of engaging these men with his flesh and pride; David responded by seeking a greater level of submission to God.


Apply:

There are three things from this verse that I need to learn to apply to my life when I am faced with affliction. First, I have to maintain a pliable heart. I have to call on God to teach me and allow my heart to remain open to learning. My initial reaction to hardship is to just want out. I really have to come to understand that God often works in affliction to mold my heart. I have to maintain a teachable spirit.


Second, I have to maintain a wiliness to stay in submission. If I ask God to reveal His desires for me I have to be willing to walk in them. His ways are not my own and they often defy my logic and understanding. God desires that I be a any time, any place type of man.


Finally, I have to seek God out of fear for His name and respect for His glory. I am not entitled to anything. God owes me nothing. If I pursue Him for any reason other than a hunger for Him to get His glory then I have to know that I will fail. God loves me but it is glory that He seeks to establish. He is not in my life for my fame.


Pray:

I am so grateful this morning. Your goodness and mercy are truly amazing. Your patient love for me defies all logic. You willingness to not only forgive me but still design a plan and purpose for me is incredible.


Father, there is nothing in my life that is not on the table before You. My only desire for my life is to be at Your feet doing Your work. I ask that You establish Your glory in my life. The world in which I live is desperate to see the power of a God who is above all things. I pray that I be a man whose life reflects a God who is worthy of the worlds awe and wonder.

No comments: